It all started near here when four-year old Sarah Brooks was brought to then Rutherford
County around 1791. Four of Sarah’s five children -Winnie, John, Nathaniel and
Daniel - settled in Duncans Creek with their families. Around 1832, young apprentice
blacksmith Nathaniel is believed to have fashioned metalworks for the home of slaveowner
John Lattimore (pictured above). In 1854, Nathaniel purchased al large tract of
land believed to include the cabin and grounds on which he and his siblings were
raised. In 1869, he donated five acres of land to Brooks Chapel United Methodist
Church at its founding.